I’m building a Reprap Prusa. This is a Reprap version which is cheaper to build. It was easy to print and easy to build. PLA bearings seem to work ok. It’s not done, so I haven’t actually printed anything real yet, but the controller is working, moving the parts around. The parts are:
- Plastic parts printed on my Thing-o-matic.
- Motors from Zapp Automation.
- Gen7 Electronics. Bought a kit from “Traumflug” (Markus Hitter). Seems to work well so far. Running teacup firmware at the moment. Thanks to “Traumflug” for good support and help.
- Smooth bars are aluminium rods from Maxbo. The steel ones were much more expensive. Aluminium cost a few dollars per meter. Not sure if they are good enough, but seems ok. I sanded them with very fine sand paper to make them smoother, and the parts move very smoothly.
- Timing belts and lots of other minor stuff from Elfa. The timing belt was a 10mm wide belt, split in half.
- Extruder… not done yet. Trying to make my own.
- Software. For the thing-o-matic I’m using ReplicatorG, which I really like. I haven’t found something as stable and solid for a Mendel yet. Tried the reprap software and repstrapper, but I’m not really happy.