I am Lars Kristian Roland. I’m a technology enthusiast and evangelist with background from various companies in the telecom industry. I lived for 6 years in the UK while studying at Atlantic College and later Imperial College. Then I came back to Norway where I worked at Telenor and Colibria, and now at the University of Oslo. I work with mobile health IT systems in Africa and Asia, but also have a semi-professional hobby in DIY and electronics. I help some companies develop solutions by contributing my knowledge of wireless, electronics, firmware and software.
After having spent 16 years in professional software development, I felt I wanted to give something back to the community. So I’ve joined a research programme at the University of Oslo called HISP. This is a really great project that develops open source health information software for use in the global south.
The software project I work on is called DHIS2. This is an open source system for use in developing countries, for collection and analysis of health data. The system is chosen as a national standard in a number of african countries and states in India. I work on the mobile interfaces to the system, a sub-programme called DHIS Mobile. This includes plain SMS, java, mobile browser and some cheap smart phones. Our system is accessed and used by community health workers as well as health workers higher up in the health administration.
I also have my own independent consultancy company called Apus. Please contact me if you want me to participate in any of your projects.
I worked at Telenor Mobile between 1996 and 2000. In 2000 I co-founded Colibria together with Oddleif Westby, Lars Myhrum and Simon Sandoval.live in Norway with my wife and three great kids. I enjoy the outdoors whenever I’m able to go sailing, hunting or walking in the mountains. Indoor I spend my time mostly playing with my two boys, but also enjoy testing various home entertainment systems such as my MythTV and all the opportunities this offers.
My professional passion is for wireless technologies and electronics, concepts and services that are offered within this space. If you have some suggestions to some of these things I should look at, please let me know.
This blog is not meant to be a constantly updated site. When I feel strongly about writing something, I will, but in-between I have to work so it won’t happen so often.
My background is as follows:
- Born in Ålesund, a beatiful place on the west coast of Norway. Some of the pictures on this site are from around there.
- International Baccalaureate at Atlantic College in Wales. That was a great experience that shaped me as a person. Without those two years I’d be a different person.
- University (MEng) at Imperial College in London. Also 4 good years.
- Telenor – working mainly with value added services. The project that was most fun and most ground breaking was to develop a platform and service for an SMS content service in 1996. That was one of the first of its kind.
- Colibria – from 2000 until 2010.
- University of Oslo – from 2010. Mobile health information systems.
My private email address is lars at roland . bz. Please email me if you have any comments you don’t want to post below.