CNC Upgrade finished

I have finally finished the CNC upgrade. The CNC now has:

  • Improved electronics: GenY32 (this upgrade made a big difference in speed and usability).
  • Improved sliders from drawer-sliders (doesn’t make such a huge difference I think)
  • Improved threaded rods (proper ones made for CNC operations. It now moves much faster)
  • Other control software (Using Chilipeppr, currently with GRBL, but may move to tinyg)
  • New Spindle (I changed from a Dremel-copy to a 300W spindle bought from China. Much quieter and seems to work better)
  • DIY couplings made out of plastic on my lathe and manual router (the rods fell off a few times before I understood how to make them. Hopefully they’re holding tight now).

There is quite a lot of testing left, but at least I’ve made my first foam figure 🙂 … see the video. Another older video also available shows the build half way done.

Upgrading the linear rails on my CNC

Here is a ‘before and after’ photo of the rails I’m planning to use. I’m not sure if these are the best rails, or if I should have gone for the type with a metal bar and a round linear bearing, which is common on 3d printers at least. I’m not quite happy with the ones I got here, as it seems they won’t cope with the load… They were quite expensive… bought them on AliExpress…

2014-12-16 22.22.24

Making moulds using CNC, with urethane foam, wax, silicone and epoxy

I’ve been doing a bit of work on making moulds for the injection moulder. I’ve been making the base moulds with urethane foam and machineable wax. The was is definitely better since the foam is too grainy. I’ve ordered some urethane boards that will probably be really good for this, but they haven’t arrived yet. If you’re interested in some pictures of the process, read on. I’ll be posting some videos later on.

Continue reading Making moulds using CNC, with urethane foam, wax, silicone and epoxy

Using my DIY CNC router to make an aluminium gear

I’ve had my home made CNC machine for more than a year now, and I built it originally to make things out of metal. But I never dared, since I didn’t find a good way to cool it. Now I realized that I could take a shelf from my kids IKEA furniture and put it under the metal to be routed, and submerse the metal in water. It worked great. Well, the gear is the wrong size… but the quality is excellent. I’m going to try to use the same mechanism to make a hot end for my next plastic printer. The video is below (click the link below the picture) or on Youtube.

Continue reading Using my DIY CNC router to make an aluminium gear